Wednesday, September 23, 2009

jct progress

I tried uploading an avatar but it wouldn’t let me so I had to CHMOD 777 the file.

I tweaked the user_center.tpl file to remove the reference to ‘Group memberships’ from the profile page. While I was there I swapped the bookmarklet info with the ‘friends’ info – once someone has installed the bookmarklet, that’s just annoying text that gets in the way of your personal information.

I discovered all of the Admin Language panel text settings are actually saved in lang_english.conf, not in a database, so that should be easy to modify and rollout changes to the team. I am also tempted to make the changes directly in the lang_english.conf file as the admin panel keeps flipping out and chucking bugs up.

I moved the ‘About strine’ module in the sidebar2.tpl to sidebar.tpl i.e. from the far right sidebar column to the middle sidebar column. Now it doesn’t show up on the profile page (if you have a profile you already know about Strine, it was just adding clutter).

So, I decided we need to set up a safety backup system. Every 2 days I will save a back up of the database, the site public_html files and the svn repository to a local external harddrive, just in case something goes horribly wrong. I managed to run this last night, but it took a fair bit of time and did not run without issue…

I tried to back up the database and the site files through the Admin panel, but constantly got errors. After spending ages trying to fix it, I gave up and backed up via an export of the database from phpMyAdmin, which worked perfectly fine (and I will definitely use from now on!). I just downloaded a copy of the public_html files using my FTP client.

In order to get a whole working copy of the svn repository (with working links etc), without taking it offline, I had to run a hot copy. I did this through the Terminal line on the host server by:
$ svnadmin hotcopy ./svn/strinerepos ./svn/strinerepos_bkup

I just transferred a copy of ‘strinerepos_bkup’ via my FTP client to my external harddrive. I tried to gzip it first, but rather than zipping the whole lot together it zipped the individual files in the same folder as the original files, which was not what I was after!

After I managed to get everything backed up, I ran a repository export to the live server. The wrong referrer error code fix didn’t work, so I reverted the code and just commented it out, committed the changes to the repository and ran another repository export to the live server. The whole site just flipped out at that point – instead of using php comment signs /* */, I’d used the tpl comment signs {* *}. So I had to change the comment signs, commit the changes and run another repository export to the live server. Although that go the site working again, as soon as I tried to load the ‘submit a story’ page, it seized up on the ‘check referrer’ reference in submit.php. As it was around midnight at this point, I just reverted the file from a back up copy, just to get the site functioning again. It’s been put to the top of the bug list for tonight.

Although I don’t like taking out the ‘wrong referrer’ defence from the code, it’s either that or get rid of the bookmarklet….

I'm going to try to update the tech WIP sheet this afternoon - lost has happened in the last week!

No comments:

Post a Comment