Monday, September 7, 2009

Don't clear your browser cookies!!

Or if you do, be selective. I cleared the lot and couldn't load the site or admin page. Had to reinstall *sigh*

I've been trying to remove the 'groups' option from the top of the page (we don't need it until we introduce categories). I thought this would be an easy thing to work on so as not to tread the same ground as Matt while still working out some way to get my head around the code (you have to break it a few times to learn anything ;-)

In the process, i noticed that the source code for the home page contains references to the tpl files where the php seems to come from. e.g. for the groups navigation button I've been looking in the header.tpl file in the wistie template folder. Problem is every time I fiddle with it the whole header disappears.

Just before I had to reinstall i noticed a couple of things:
  • you can turn off the right hand side page items e.g. top comments etc in the module tab in the admin section. I'm going to take some time to compare source code before and after to see if there's any clue there
  • there's an easy to install module that sets up RSS feeds in as stories - sweet!
  • there's a setting to allow users to modify the template. Maybe my efforts to modify the template weren't working as this was set to false. Didn't get a chance to check if this was the case as the whole thing disappeared after clearing my cookies - doh!
I'm going to prioritise getting the site up and running on the server and checking the suitability of Subversion - Matt, the 'modify template setting' might be worth investigating before you start messing with template files...

No comments:

Post a Comment